The VETS Group has organized a Coalition of Advisers made up of a diverse group of entrepreneurs, business consultants, organizational and agency representatives. The main function of the advisers is to keep abreast of current business trends, recommend improvements to the program, and identify or serve as mentors. More specifically, advisory board members participate in the following:
- Strategic planning for program events
- Publicizing and marketing the program
- Recommending participants for the program
- Acting as a resource for guest speakers
- Identifying or serving as a mentor
- Generating interest and community support
The use of advisers to identify or serve as mentors is an important part of the program. Mentoring creates supportive relationships and allow for the free sharing of knowledge and information. As the program progresses, a mentorship committee will be formed to better track and retain the use of mentors even after the veteran’s business is in place.